Wangdephodrang is the last town on the highway from Thimpu before entering Central Bhutan. Situated on a ridge overlooking a river junction, the formidable Wangdephodrang Dzong is the town’s most visible feature. Founded in 1638, it was for some time the seat of the Bhutanese government in the mid to late 17th century. The dzong's strategic position gave theruler control of the routes to Trongsa, Punakha and Thimphu.
There is a colourful festival in the autumn.