The Temples of Khajuraho
The astonishing temples of Khajuraho, built under the Chandela kings in the 10th and 11th centuries, are one of the wonders of northern India. For centuries they lay abandoned and neglected until 'rediscovered' by the British in 1838. The 20 remaining temples (originally there were 85) are intricately carved with mythical beasts, celestial nymphs, Hindu gods and goddesses and cult images. There are many erotic representations for which Khajuraho has become world-famous. The temples have been granted World Heritage status.