The Blue Train
|The Blue Train ||1 night|
|Hotel (see note below) ||1 night |
NOTE: When you travel on the Blue Train (in 2016 - the 2017 policy has not yet been decided) you receive one complimentary night in a five star hotel, in either Cape Town or Pretoria, before or after the journey, including bed, breakfast and a transfer between the hotel and train station.
Choose from The Westin or Taj Hotel in Cape Town, or in Pretoria The Sheraton or Castello Di Monte.
3 days/2 nights
Blue Train departures on selected Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year
THE BLUE TRAIN - "A window to the soul of Africa"
The Blue Train combines 5-star accommodation with the charm and romance of train travel. Take a journey into a timeless world of grace and elegance, where breathtaking scenery stirs your imagination and luxurious comfort soothes body and soul. Sit back and enjoy being pampered on South Africa’s “Blue Jewel”.
Guest Services and Facilities
- The Club Car Lounge, situated at the front of the train, is the only area on the train where smoking is permitted. The lounge boasts a well-stocked bar, coffee table books, magazines and board games.
- The Lounge Car is a non-smoking lounge in which to relax and enjoy High Tea and snacks.
- The Dining Car seats 42 people and serves meals in two optional sittings.
- The Observation Car at the rear end of the train has windows on three sides for maximum enjoyment of the passing scenery (available on most departures).
- Boutique selling souvenirs and gifts.
- A limited on-board laundry and valet service is available.
The Blue Train prides itself on the fine cuisine it offers its guests with meals that are accompanied by a wide selection of South African wines sourced only from boutique vineyards. The wine list has for a number of years secured the Annual Diner’s Club Award of Approval. On-board chefs prepare their signature dishes using the freshest of local ingredients - from Karoo lamb, ostrich and venison, to Knysna oysters and other award-winning Cape cultivars. There’s a menu for every taste. Whether you require Kosher or Halaal meals, or gluten-free vegan options, simply make your needs known at the time of booking.
Comparable to the world’s finest hotels, each suite on board the train offers five star luxurious accommodation with private ensuite bathroom facilities. The luxury element on board the train is accentuated by the personalised butler service.
The Blue Train comprises 19 coaches and accommodates a maximum of 80 guests. The train has a customised wheelchair on board which has been specifically designed to negotiate the train's corridors. There is also an Observation Car at the rear of the train and one suite that is adapted for wheelchair users.
DELUXE SUITES offer twin beds with showers, or double bed with three-quarter sized bath.
LUXURY SUITES have an extra m² of space, a Blu Ray player and offer twin beds or double beds with full-sized baths.
- Ensuite bathrooms - elegantly decorated with Italian marble and gold plated fittings
- Fully remote-controlled facilities – blinds etc.
- Fully soundproofed
- Air-conditioning and under-floor heating
- Personal butlers offering 24-hour room service
- GPS system and TV monitor tracking the train’s progress and sharing the driver’s view
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Goose-down and 100% percale-cotton bedding
- Entertainment system
With the exception of caviar, French Champagne and external telephone calls, everything else onboard The Blue Train is included in the all-inclusive rate.
In keeping with tradition you are required to dress for dinner. Evening wear is elegant and gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie or traditional attire. During the day dress code is smart casual.
Check in/out Times
Check-in is at 07h30 (an hour before departure) and guests can relax and enjoy pre-departure snacks and drinks. The train departs from both Cape Town and Pretoria at 08h30, arriving the next day at approximately 3 o’clock in the afternoon.
Off Train Excursions
The Southbound (Pretoria to Cape Town) off-train excursion is at the Kimberley Diamond Mine Museum and the largest man-made hole on the planet. The Northbound (Cape Town to Pretoria) off-train excursion is at Matjiesfontein - left (the entire village is a National Museum retaining its Victorian history).
PLEASE ASK FOR A QUOTATION
The price we quote you at the time of booking is guaranteed.